Years ago we knew who the “Christians” were because their character revealed a reverence for God. They’d all dress in their best clothes on Sunday mornings and trot off to one of the dozen different denominational churches. The church bells would ring out and everybody knew that it was the Lord’s Day. But gradually, the number of denominations grew, and today there are many interpretations of Bible truths and God’s laws have been revised to suit the people. These new gospels make everyone a Christian and no one is offended. It seems convenient, but there are deadly effects to giving in to itching ears.
People seem to forget—or perhaps they just simply don’t want to accept—that Christianity is not about them. It’s not about God changing to make our lives more convenient to this sinful nature; Christianity is about Christ! It’s about accepting what God has done so that we can live apart from the sin—not in it! God created the world in His perfection and then sin infiltrated His creation. But sin cannot exist in God’s presence, which is why He had to exile Adam and Eve from the “perfect” Garden of Eden [Genesis 3:24]. And we are their descendents and we can’t be in God’s presence, either. We can’t come to Him or even pray to Him in our sinful state because His Holiness would destroy us before we could get the first word out.
We know from Romans 6:23 that the wages of sin is death—death because anyone or anything that has sin in them cannot live in God’s presence. But God loves the people He’s created and He does not want anyone to be separated from Him—not while we live on this earth and definitely not when we leave this world to go into eternity. God wants us all to be saved from the judgment that will come upon this earth in the very near future, and it’s a judgment that brings the sentence of death.
- For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.—John 3:16-17
What we need to understand is that GOD DOES NOT CHANGE. Not even a little bit. The laws that He gave to Moses still stand firm. They do not and cannot waiver. While we live in this world we are expected to obey these laws. We know that according to this world, when we break these laws we have to be punished. We are given an opportunity in court to have everything clearly revealed so that the judge knows what laws we broke [and these are all based on the Mosaic Laws] and we are punished accordingly. The law that we broke is the one that gets us. So in other words, we are judged by the law.
And so it is on the great Judgment Day to come. We will be judged by each law that we have broken. There isn’t a single person on earth who has not broken at least one of these—it doesn’t matter how great or small that break is; if we broke it then we are guilty of sin and we WILL be judged, and the wages of sin is death.
When Peter told Jesus that he knew Jesus was the Son of God, Jesus told him that this revelation, this truth, would be the rock or the gospel for all believers to follow. So if we follow Jesus and accept who He is, then we must accept that He is our Savior and the One who has come to give us the grace to be forgiven so that we will no longer stand before God on Judgment Day and be sentenced to death for our sins. And that’s because the sins we committed before we became a Christian have all be washed away.
- And I say also unto thee, that thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.—Matthew 16:18
Therefore, the gospel or the doctrine that we follow as Christians is ONLY the gospel of Jesus! There is no diversion from this truth. It’s either, accept and believe this truth or continue to live in sin and face judgment. Yet, there are false preachers all around us who will try to convince us that God has changed, that we were all forgiven at the cross so we can continue to live in sin and enjoy life however we [sinfully] please. These false teachers are wolves in sheep’s clothing and their message will kill you!
Any denomination that changes a single word of the scriptures is not one that is following Christ. The Bible is all about Christ! The Old Testament is not just a history book, but it’s a book of prophesy that prepares us for the birth of Christ in the New Testament. And the reason that the Bible is focused on Christ Jesus is because He is God in the flesh and He came to earth to save us. And in the New Testament we learn about the personal and loving side of God as opposed to the “angry” God of the Old Testament. And although we are privileged to be able to receive the forgiveness of our sins and be brought back into the presence of God through the sacrifice Jesus gave us on the cross, this in no way changes God’s laws. It fulfills them!
- Think not that I [Jesus] am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, ‘Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled’.—Matthew 5:17-18
We are warned often in the New Testament to beware of false preachers and teachers who come with a message that says God has changed, that we don’t need to repent, that He loves everyone just as they are and accepts sinful lifestyles and actions if it makes you happy.
Deception! Lies! This is NOT what God said in the Bible.
- 9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you, but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.—1 Corinthians 6:9-11
The Bible says that people who don’t want to reverence God and follow His rules have “itching ears”. They want to find a church where the preacher says it’s okay to do the sinful things that they enjoy doing. After all, in their mind, if the preacher says it’s okay then that’s all that counts. Foolishly, they don’t go to God and ask Him if it’s okay and they don’t study the scriptures themselves to know the truth. They justify their sin by following a preacher instead of God. But God says that anyone who does not repent, turn from their sins and follow Christ is NOT going to inherit the kingdom of God. They are not a Christian. They are someone who has been deceived, whose heart and mind is not given to God and who, sadly, will still be judged according to their sin.
- I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel, 7 which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed. 10 For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ.—Galatians 1:6-10
The ONLY gospel to follow is the gospel of Christ! Don’t be led by itching ears; be led by the Spirit of God!
- Grace to you and peace from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ, 4 who gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, 5 to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.—Galatians 1:3
*If you have been blessed by this message, please subscribe to this blog so that you can have all future posts delivered directly into your personal inbox. Thank you and have a blessed day!