It seems that every media site today is filled with people talking badly about someone. It’s the latest rage! There’s so much contempt and anger bottled up that people just want to pour it out! They hear something about someone and then turn that rumor into a major roast that attracts other itching ears like flies. But it’s time to stop! It’s time to turn that gossip into grace!
As Christians, we should not get involved with these discussions. They don’t give glory to God; they give glory to the devil and are only there to keep the hatred flowing among people who live for the thrill of it. We may think that if we respond with something positive, we can help steer the readers into a better direction. However, most of them are provoked to tear down their target, and often the only thing we accomplish is adding fuel to the fire that creates more arguments in their favor.
- Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.—Ephesians 4:29
Christians are supposed to be God’s light in this dark world to show people how to get to Jesus. We are supposed to teach people the truth so that they can get saved. We are supposed to help those in need so that God can work through us and bless them. We are not supposed to bring God down into the element of gossip.
- You shall not circulate a false report. Do not put your hand with the wicked to be an unrighteous witness.—Exodus 23:1NKJV
The media is having a hay day because these gossipers are doing all their work for them, and for free! It knows that they will pick up whatever is said and that they’ll run with it and spread the unsupported, undocumented and over-opinionated dirty, juicy speculations in what is really just gossip.
- If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man’s religion is vain.—James 1:26
Yet, people feel justified in giving their opinions and judgments about others even though they have absolutely no knowledge of the facts. This is what makes them gossipers. This is what is giving power to the “haters”. They are spreading lies and giving power and glory to the father of lies.
- Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.—John 8:44
We can’t control what others do, but we don’t have to get involved. We don’t have to even read the garbage that comes down the pike. Our eyes should be in the Scriptures so that we can know God, and know who we are in Christ so that we can do HIS will.
- And He said unto them, “Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.”—Mark 16:15
Jesus is coming soon, and when He does, there will be no more time to share His gospel and get people saved. We need to work now while there is light and while His Spirit is with us to work through us. We cannot waste our time or thoughts on gossip! We need to meditate on God’s word and let our mind be filled with His truth.
- This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. —Joshua 1:8
Our words should express the goodness of God, and the life that’s in Jesus, and the hope of being in Heaven with Him forever. So, let’s block our minds to the gossip, even if it comes from the posts of so-called Christians. Some of them think that they are doing the world a favor by writing about a particular person or event. But all they are really doing is gossiping because it’s based on rumor and opinion. We cannot let them bring us down to their level when Jesus has called us to do something so much higher.
- I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.—Philippians 3:14
God told us that everything we say and do should be for HIS glory. So let’s stop reading the gossip pages on FaceBook, and let’s stop getting worked up about what someone has said there. Instead, let’s determine to show the mercy and love of God to those who are searching for the truth. Let’s turn that hour of gossip into eternal grace!
*If this message has blessed you, please share it with others so they can be blessed. And if you haven’t already subscribed to this blog, please join us now so that all future messages can be delivered directly into your inbox.
Thanks for stopping by! Have a blessed day! … ronnie
3 thoughts on “Turn Gossip into Grace”
Too true! Very well said!
LikeLiked by 1 person