There are many hurting people in this world who could really use some encouragement, financial support or physical help. Thousands are starving right around us and we don’t even notice because we are too busy with our own lives. The world we live in has become a self-centered, materialist environment where the emphasis is on us! It’s about us getting rich and us getting the desires of our hearts, and it’s about us promoting a life style that frees us from all responsibility. Yet, the hurting ones are still there, waiting for us to realize their needs; simple needs that mean everything to them.
They are thirsty. Can you spare a cup of water?
It’s really unfortunate that the world has created the image of giving to help the needy to be one of pathetic greed where the workers first take their healthy portion and then distribute what’s left. The idea of giving has become a business—a profitable business! And so many people are turned away from giving because they come to realize that many of the charities and those who engage in them are fraudulent.
- The wicked in his pride doth persecute the poor: let them be taken in the devices that they have imagined.—Psalm 10:2
As Christians, we have been called to serve the Lord and we do this by serving people. God’s Holy Spirit lives in us; we are His representation on earth. He lives in us and through us. Our eyes should be on Him first, and on our own gain second. Jesus tells us that our commission is to be a Light here on earth, and that means that we should shine!
- Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.—Matthew 5:14
We need to always be ready to give that cup of water. It may be in the form of physical food, finances, help or prayer. But we must always have the lives of others set before us and be ready to help them because God wants to help them. And since He lives in us, we need to take on His concern and be the faithful servant that He has called us to be. We need to put aside our own desires; stop living for ourselves and start living for Jesus!
There are Christian organizations around us that are filled with Godly men and women who work within these arenas as God’s stewards. Their heart’s desire is to help others and give all the glory to God. It’s not a business or a means to get rich for them; it’s a service they give willingly to bless others. They may not be advertised or promoted as strongly as the worldly organizations, but they are there and we can be part of them. We might not be able to help physically, but we can support them financially—and we can definitely pray for them.
Franklin Graham heads an amazing God-centered helps ministry called, Samaritan’s Purse. This organization takes speedy and active force in going into the areas of devastation including natural disasters such as floods or earthquakes, and man-made disasters such as shootings and bomb tragedies. These people don’t get paid, but they offer their time and even their lives to show God’s love and care to the hurting victims. We can give financial support to help pay for the travel and care packages given out, or we can even join the team and get out there into the front lines.
Besides the blessing of feeding the physically hungry people, is the one that feeds the hungry souls. Many of God’s children go into the various areas of the world and help to teach the people about God and win souls for Christ! They don’t hesitate to be God’s Light regardless of how challenging the mission can be.
There are Christian ministries that dare to go into countries and hold massive Christian crusades to win souls for the Lord. Paul Wilbur Ministries is one that is a music ministry and is highlighted by dynamic preaching from Paul Wilbur. He and his team of Godly men and women risk their lives to bring God’s presence to countries that have never allowed this before. He, too, depends on the support of other Christians to help bring this glory to God. He doesn’t get rich from it financially, but his love for God brings His Light into these dark nations, and we could be part of it by supporting him.
People all over the world are thirsty; they are in need of cup of water! Some need God’s touch for their healing and others need His presence for their salvation. We can get so caught up with our own lives that we don’t realize the needs of others. God wants to work through us to bless others. We are their only hope because God lives in us and the world can only see Him through us. We can’t take our earthly riches to Heaven with us and we need to stop focussing on collecting more. Christ is returning soon and He’s not looking a bride who is adorned in material possessions; He’s looking for a bride who showed her love for Him by sharing it with others.
We can all afford to give a cup of water!
- When the Son of man shall come in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then shall He sit upon the throne of His glory:
- 32 And before Him shall be gathered all nations: and He shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
- 33 And He shall set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left.
- 34 Then shall the King say unto them on His right hand, ‘Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
- 35 For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
- 36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.’
- 37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?’
- 38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
- 39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
- 40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, ‘Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.’—Matthew 31-40